Tuesday, July 1, 2008

My Brother Forever

Today would be Jonathan's friend, David Heiner's, 20th birthday.
Our family will be attending the memorial service for him today here in Logan.

This was in yesterday's e-mail and Jon asked that we post it:

I was thinking and I wrote something that I would like shared at the memorial service. President Robison said I should write my feelings down to help me release my emotions because he says I'm too good at keeping them bottled up. It's not done yet, but here it is:

My Brother Forever

Friends from the beginning, friends from the start.
You've been a friend with a place in my heart.

Through all the good times we've had a blast.
Too bad we grew up and childhood couldn't last.

Filming movies was cool and so were those drums.
We were water ski-pros, but at golf we were bums!

Remember the Olympics party that your parents threw?
We stayed in the hot tub, February '02.

We grinded our scooters down poles lit on fire.
We jumped of cliffs and out windows when situations were dire.

Canada was cold, snowboarding was too.
So was that time we tipped our canoe.

To a Jazz game we went with our parents one night,
There was that drunk guy below us that wanted to fight!

Dirt-bikes and go-karts, rock climbing and rafting,
The fun things we did always kept us laughing.

Best-Men-to-be at each others big days,
Our futures were bright in so many ways.

I'm sorry we didn't finish the last thing on our "to-do"...
To watch the 6 Star Wars movies all the way through.

We faced trials together and overcame all our fears,
We became quite a team over those years!

Now the hardest trial I've had, when I've needed you most...
You can't come and help with because you're a ghost.

David you're gone, but forgotten never.
You're still part of me, my brother forever.


That's it. I hope they like it.

From David Heiner ...

The memorial service went too long today and they didn't open the time up for people to share memories of David so we were unable to read Jonathan's poem. We did give Mark & Vickie a copy and they really apppreciated it.