Monday, July 21, 2008

First Baptism

"I got to baptize this lady yesterday morning right before church. Her name is Michelle. I also got to confirm her during sacrament meeting about 20 minutes later. That was the same meeting where I had to play the organ. This has been a rough week but it was things like this that got me through it."


We have been asking Jonathan to tell us about his apartment so this morning he sent us two short videos:





He asked us to "tell Uncle Rob that I have some sweet new sunglasses. They're fake Oakly's that I got for $2.50. They beat his Wal-mart specials."

"Anyway, out of time. Love ya, Bye!"

Jon also sent us a copy of a couple of messages that he sent to two of his friends. These are excerpts from them:

"It is pretty here but the sun causes us to forget that. I'm not officially the clerk but I have taken over the job because our branch is a real mess right now. My comp and I are getting along okay. I have received one letter from my grandparents. I've heard they have sent another one so hopefully it will come this week. Speaking of mail, do you remember what I said about not sending packages because it would be expensive to pick them up? One Elder had to pay 540 dollars to get a package this morning. I know that sounds like a lot but it's only $2.70 because of the exchange rate. Basically, as long as the package isn't huge, feel free to send stuff." (I think this is a gentle hint to all of us!)

"Well, that's really all that has happened to me... other than getting chased by a bull, bit by a dog (it only got my pant leg because I jumped out of the way), had someone attempt to rob me and have a drunk guy get mad at me when I "accidentally" broke his unopened 1 liter bottle of vodka."

"We are also struggling with our investigators right now. They enjoy getting drunk because there are no rules here. Almost everyone is either: Hindu, Muslim, Rastafarian or 7th Day Adventist. So pretty much no one wants to listen to us. We are doing our best though. That's all we can do I guess."

Scripture of the week: Mormon 9:27-28