Monday, July 28, 2008

We taught 34 lessons this week

I think Jonathan's e-mail messages home are getting shorter! I really didn't think that was possible. We sent him a package last Tuesday and it arrived at the Senior Couple's home on Saturday so he had it when he messaged us today. We were so surprised that it made it to Guyana so quickly! We were also surprised that it cost so much to send! On a positive note, since we sent it FedEx he didn't have to pay any fees to pick it up.

The following are a few quotes from today's messsage:

"Sorry for the short letter but we have limited time today. President's letter was really long. Nothing new is really happening. We taught 34 lessons this week and will hopefully baptize 3 people next week."

"The apartment is pretty sparse but it's okay. It's a lot nicer than most of the places around here anyway. Most people here eat a lot of Curry and something called Cook-Up. It's got rice, coconut, bora garlic, and some kind of meat. It also has some other greens in it but I have no idea what they are! We can't eat it anyway though. Guyana is the only country in the entire mission that you can't eat at peoples houses. I'll let you know more when I get out to the island in like 8 months because I will get to eat with the locals every night!!"

"Can you send me the words to the Robert Frost poem called
"The Road Less Traveled" or something like that. I used to have it memorized but I forgot it!"

The Road Not Taken
Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference
.

"Well I gotta run. Thanks for the package again. I now have to send you a package so I can make weight for plane transfers. I probably won't have one of those until early next year though."

Scripture of the week: D&C 122