Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Hello from Guyana, (the surface of the sun!)

Sorry to those who were waiting for us to update yesterday. We received Jonathan's e-mail letter in the afternoon. Being on vacation, we didn't get around to posting it until today. Here are a few quotes.

Hello from Guyana, (the surface of the sun!)

Things are going well here. It is always hot and we walk a lot (about 13 miles a day I figure) but we are doing our best. We are baptizing a couple this weekend named Michael and Michelle. I'm pretty excited about that because I helped find them and we've been teaching them for like 3 weeks. They call us by our first names and it's weird. They are a great family though.

We only have one other family that we are teaching steady so we spend a lot of time trying to find new investigators. That means we have to be among the people a lot and listen to their taunts and have stuff thrown at us... There are just somethings that really bother me and that ranks right up there.

I have a request for you... Ask all of the other returned missionaries in the family if they ever struggled with Hindu's and Muslims. If they did, ask them how they got through to them. I need all the advice I can get on the subject.

I hope you had a fantastic 4th of July. We didn't get to celebrate it down here. I made jello and sugar cookies and then sang the
"patriotic songs" in the back of the hymn book for our party. It was fun but there weren't any fireworks.

The food we eat is very interesting. I wish I could have normal milk and I would have no worries. (I would also like a microwave and a clothes-dryer. That would just be for convenience though.) We add a lot of pepper to flavor stuff up and to hide the ants that crawl into our stuff. We also drink lots of Kool-aide because there is no milk and the filtered water tastes funny.

Scripture of the week: 3 Nephi 5:13

Love ya!!!

Elder JLAR