Monday, February 2, 2009

We are the first missionaries to ever go there!

We were unable to go to zone conference because the people on Guadeloupe are still striking, so President Robison came and did a special one in St. Maarten for us...again! During zone conference I was told that I will be staying in St. Maarten until April 1. Then I will most likely be going to Trinidad. :( From a few things that President said it sounds like I might go serve in the office for a few transfers because word has gotten out through the senior couples (The Platt's and now the Oliver's) that I can do almost anything on a computer and I am very reliable and that I get things done. Perfect recipe to be an office Elder.

I hadn't been off the island since October and my legality expired Monday morning. So Elder Marshall and I had to go to a neighboring island called Anguilla on Wednesday so that I could get a new stamp on my passport. Anguilla is an old British island. We had to hire someone to take us by boat. It was pretty much like going on a ski boat. The ocean was really rough. Most of the waves were higher than the boat! We didn't get too wet but a little spray got on us. It sure felt nice. The boat ride lasted for about 25 minutes. I was also able to get on a beach for the first time since I came to the island! (Except for the baptism of course).

Here are some Anguilla pictures. Enjoy!

Me on the boat just leaving St. Maarten

They gave me my own office when we got to the island! (Just kidding)

Picture of the beach on Anguilla that we got to "play" on

It was really fun. We were there for about 8 hours and we just hung out on the beach and talked to people in the main city. We are the first missionaries to ever go there so we got a lot of strange looks!

The baptism didn't happen like we wanted. We have rescheduled it for this week and it is going to happen or else I will be very frustrated! We also started teaching a really cool guy yesterday that will probably get baptized on like the 21st. Hopefully he comes to church so that we can baptize him that soon!

My hair has been slowly getting darker since I left home and I really am 160 lbs! I'm starting to look more and more like Dad every day! (Shane says that obviously means he's just getting better looking!)

I got a postcard from G&G Olson that they sent from Barbados. It told me all about their trip to Trinidad and them meeting the Meyers. I actually talked to the Meyers on Saturday and they said that G&G were very sweet people. They liked them a lot.

FYI I am in Helaman 4 in my personal Book of Mormon reading and in Matthew 25 in the New Testament.

The scripture of the week is Luke 17:11-19.