Monday, February 16, 2009

We just got approval for the first stake to be created in our mission!!!

Things are great in the West Indies! We just got approval for the first stake to be created in our mission!!! It will be in Port of Spain, Trinidad. That event is happening the first week of March!

The new West Indies Mission president has been announced. He is from Guadeloupe. He starts on July 1, 2009. I have met him once but don't really remember him because it has been a long time. (Check out the mission blog for more information).

My week was fantastic. My companion, Elder Marshall, left the island last Monday so I have been hanging out with Elder West, a British missionary, that is supposed to be on the French side of the island. It has been a lot of fun and I have been trying to convert him to speak "American" instead of English. Elder West's companion came back so we were put together for just the few days of the zone leader conference.

Elder West has now been sent to St. Lucia. President wanted to put him in a place where he would be totally immersed and that isn't here. He was actually transferred to Martinique but hasn't gone there yet because of the riots that are going on there and on Guadeloupe. They haven't changed the price of gas even though the price of oil has dropped. It is still like $5 a gallon here now. Since Elder West left I have been with Elder Gray (Elder West's old companion) and Elder Vogel (Elder Gray's new companion). Elder Gray is one of the missionaries that got lost last December on Martinique. We make fun of him for it but he takes it pretty well. We always ask how you can get lost if you can see the water!

We have a lot of cool investigators right now. The problem with most of them is that they like to "eat, drink, and be merry". It's an uphill battle to say the least! But as it says in D&C, "all victory and glory is brought to pass through our diligence, patience and prayers of faith". Celine, the 9 year old girl, is good. Her dad is still being a butt but we are going to see her in a day or two to see if she'll let us do it. I hope so!

I will get a new companion on Wednesday I guess it will now be Elder Cathrine. He is an actual Frenchman. I have a feeling that I will be doing some pretty intense studying of the French language. That will be alright though. I always feel left out during lessons to French speaking people. It's getting easier though. I'm learning pieces of Spanish, French, Creole, Dutch, Papiamento, and Patwa. It's quite a task! I love it though!

The weather on this island is great because we always have a breeze. We have a Burger King here that we like to get milkshakes at every once in a while.

I'm in Mark 6 and 3 Nephi 18 in my personal scripture reading.

The scripture of the week is John 20:24-31.