Monday, August 17, 2009

We are having a baptism today!

Things are going great here in Grenada. We are having a baptism today!
We are baptizing a little girl we call Avanaya. (I can't remember what her real name is because nobody calls her by it). Her baptism this evening will be pretty special because there will also be 2 children of record being baptized. It will be pretty fun to be at a triple baptism. The baptism will start just before sunset which will make it really sweet because the baptism font is on the southwestern side of the island. It gives us a perfect view of the sun on it's way down!

We had to "clean out the font" this morning to get it ready. There are no sharp rocks any more! It was fun... I mean it was absolutely awful and I never want to have to go underwater again!


I will send you some pictures from Avanaya's baptism next Monday.

We have a cool family that we are teaching right now. The mom's name is Bernadette and we are also teaching her 13 year old son, Kidon, and her 16 year old daughter, Nakita. They seem to be coming along pretty well even though they don't read much. Kidon is reading the most and we left him the story of Ammon the other night. He really enjoyed that!

We are also teaching a guy named Tony that can be baptized next week. He just has a little bit of a smoking problem that we are trying to help him deal with. I think he'll be okay though. He just needs to come to church. (None of these people came this week).

I do have a sad story to tell you. The kid that I told you about last week, Akim, his dad won't give him permission to be baptized until he turns 18 (at that point he doesn't need permission any more) and that isn't for another 3 1/2 years! I hope you will pray for his dad's heart to soften.

President Gamiette came out with a new rule about contacting people. We are supposed to talk to at least 20 people everyday to find new people to teach. (That's not new.) He has changed it so that now we have to get an address or a phone number from every person in order to count them towards our 20 for the day. So, for only the second time in my whole mission I got a 0 for a week in contacting (0 being the number of days that I got the full 20 in a single day). The highest companionship in all of the islands only got 3, and 2 of those days were from before the new rules came into effect! Things are not easy out here...

A Grenada Sunset.

Look how close our church is to the ocean!
The building is being expanded because our branch has out grown it.

Well, I'm getting used to our small section of the island. Grenada is a lot bigger than St. Maarten and I haven't seen hardly any of it, just the southwestern corner. I have seen the Medical School from a distance but I haven't been there yet. There are a lot of white people around compared to last week because classes start again today.

The scripture of the week is Mosiah 4:26-27.