Monday, September 22, 2008

Things are going well right now

These are a few pictures from the combined Canje and Berbice Zone Conference held on September 17th.

Jonathan's zone (Canje) sang a musical number.

They enjoyed a Guyana style lunch of roti, curried chicken and pineapple. (Sis. Robison says that Guyana pineapple is the absolute best in the Caribbean)

If you look closely you will see Jonathan eating in the background.


The Mighty Missionaries of the Canje Zone!



Now onto Jonathan's e-mail from this week.

This is our baptism picture for this past weekend. (From left to right) Me, Ricky, Vijay, Vishal and Elder Averett. I was privileged enough to baptize Ricky and Vishal. We are hoping to have 3 more this weekend! Things are going well right now.

Sorry again about not being able to write much last week. Anyway,
I have a list of things I want to talk about so I'll dive right into it.

The dog that bit me didn't tear my pants. It just left permanent bite marks! (Battle wounds).

We have a lot of power problems around here but we always seem to have it when we absolutely need it.

Yes, we have a washer. We have to hang dry the clothes though.
As far as I can tell, that's how it is all over the mission. I hate the water we have to use though because it's so rusty. I have to use a rag to filter it as I fill up the tub or else my clothes get covered in rust stains. I have lost a couple of shirts because of that. (That was before I realized I could filter it!) Don't worry though. I still have 8 short sleeves and that's all I need at the present time. I could probably use one for Christmas though… :)

I almost blew myself up in the oven yesterday. I thought that the gas was turned off when I lit the match to turn the oven on. I leaned in and then all I know is that I was surrounded by light and flames!!!
The whole oven was engulfed in a fireball! It was so cool. By looking at me, you wouldn't know that I had done that though… All I had was a few singed hairs on my right arm! Other than that, I'm doing okay so don't worry about me. I know I'm protected because the flames weren't hot. They were just warm. It was a weird sensation. Probably like Nephi and Lehi in their furnace or Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego. I also got electrocuted this week while doing some wiring work at one of the other apartments. Again, I'm perfectly fine.

In my personal scripture study, I am in Helaman 5. And in my personal study of the Book of Mormon in French I am in 1 Nephi 6.
I have also ordered a Preach My Gospel in French to help me learn the language better. I know I didn't tell you, but I have decided to try and learn French while I'm out here. I'll keep you updated on my progress.

The scripture of the week is Proverbs 17:17.

Well, I gotta run. We have taught 105 lessons over the last 2 weeks so we are really busy. At the rate we are going, by the time this transfer is over, we will have taught 275 lessons! We are working really hard right now and I'm always worn out. I always have enough energy to play a good game of basketball like we did this morning though!

I love getting letters by the way. It makes me feel somewhat remembered.