Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Surprise E-mail!

Today we had a great surprise. Jonathan sent us an e-mail! It is the first e-mail we have received from him since he entered the MTC:

"Hi dad. It's just your missionary. I find myself in a curious location this morning... I am sitting in a hospital with Elder Hatch. He broke his foot and we fear that there might be some damage to his plantar facia, so he is about to get an MRI. There is obviously a computer here in the office so I figured I could drop you a line. I hope you are all well and not missing me too much. Tell Mom I have put on about 4 pounds. That should make her happy. If you respond to this quickly, I may be able to write back. If not, I guess I'll hear from you later. Love ya. ~Jonathan~"

As zone leader, it was Jonathan's responsibility to take Elder Hatch (Fort Worth, Texas Mission) to have the MRI of his foot. Unfortunately, it looks like he will be delayed in leaving the MTC for a few weeks. (Poor Elder Hatch)

We were so excited to be able to message back and forth with Jon for a few minutes. I am hoping that we will be able to "talk" with him like this while he is in the West Indies.

We were able to arrange his call home from the airport on Monday morning, June 9th. He leaves for Port of Spain, Trinidad bright and early that morning (7:05 AM). We are all glad that he leaves early enough to be able to talk to Shane before work, Michael before marching band practice, and Amanda before school.

He said, "One of the new Elders was on the freshman basketball team at USU. It's fun playing against him. He can pretty much run around everyone but me. I even blocked one of his shots yesterday. He's 6' 7'' and I blocked it! I was king of the court until he knocked me off."

He has been able to attend the Provo Temple and says he will have one more chance to go on Friday.

Jonathan seems to be in good spirits and enjoying his time at the MTC and is looking forward to leaving for the mission field.