Monday, November 9, 2009

Things have definitely taken a turn!

I'm good, just a little bummed about the language thing. The French is coming along slowly but surely. I just want to understand everything and to say everything! I'm making good progress but it's not fast enough. My companion and I had to speak in church yesterday (I thought I was going to die)! It went okay but I was seriously stressed. Mostly I read from Elder Andersen's talk called "You Know Enough". It went okay but Elder Snow had to translate some of it for me. It's hard to know the answer to every question we get asked and not be able to respond. The problem comes in when I try to say something back, it doesn't register in my mind yet because I'm still thinking in English! Elder Snow says it took 7 weeks before he could think in French. I can understand about 75% though and I'm studying a lot. It is fun but things have definitely taken a turn in my life. Fun, fun!

We live on the French side of the island, near the marina in a little town with a narrow main street. I forgot to check what our address is. I told the Elders on the Dutch side that you would be sending letters and stuff over there and they don't mind. We see them every Sunday, Monday and Tuesday so I'll be able to get everything from them.

We are getting ready to go to Zone Conference next week on Monday so we won't be e-mailing until Tuesday. It will all be in French! When I interview with the Mission President, I'm going to ask to stay for one more transfer in St. Martin. I would really like to go serve on Martinique but I will probably end up on Guadeloupe if he keeps me French speaking. Either way will be cool. Believe it or not, I just want to go somewhere where the people don't speak English!

We are still working with Daphnie but she wants to wait for her fiancee to come back to the island before she gets baptized. That's not until March so we are desperately trying to change her mind. She even bore her testimony during sacrament meeting last week! I just don't understand why she's waiting! We have a few other people we are teaching that seem like they could get baptized, but they are still a long ways out from that. We have mostly been working on reactivation and we have been making some progress there.

My foot is doing much better. The toenail has not fallen off yet. I am actually still waiting the results of my MRSA test. The doctor should be calling me with the results. My other foot has problems now though. We were in a place called French Quarter on Saturday and I got 11 bites from a group of angry fire-ants. My foot was pretty swollen yesterday but it is getting back to normal now. It reminded me of the fire-ants in Texas.

I'm sorry to hear about Grandma Jensen. I believe that she is a lot happier now than she was here on the Earth. As we say in the West Indies, "for true, mon"!

The scripture of the week is 2 Nephi 25:29. I really like it. (I even looked it up this week so I would remember why I chose it for my scripture of the week list!)

*Note:  We found this picture on the blog Elder Ackerman's family is doing for him It is from Leana's baptism on Tobago.