Monday, July 20, 2009

No Worries, Mon!

Things are pretty slow right now. Mission wide this week we only had 37 baptisms. This will probably be our lowest baptizing month in the last 16 months! We have one person lined up to get baptized on the morning of August 1st so that we can be the first ones to baptize!

Our investigators were a disappointment again this week. We had 2 new ones come to church but none of the others came. The weirdest part of church yesterday was when 16 girls from BYU on a 10 day study abroad program walked into sacrament meeting. They are here to test out if they should come to Trinidad more often. We went to the store this morning and 5 of them were there too! I haven't been around that many white people since St. Maarten! I'll be glad when they leave next Tuesday because there are way too many white people walking around Port of Spain right now!

I taught the young men's priesthood class yesterday. One of the members of the bishopric was doing it but the kids weren't being very attentive so I asked him if I could say something but I ended up taking over. I whipped them into shape and they actually all learned something. I apologized to Brother Samaroo (the bishopric member) for taking over his class but he was very happy that I did it. He said he was sick of trying to make himself heard.

We played some sweet basketball on Tuesday night with some of the members. They play every Tuesday night so we are going to set up a way to go on splits with them before they play and then all meet up to play ball. Two of the guys are people we want to have go teaching with us because one is in our bishopric and the other is in the stake presidency.

We eat out a lot right now because our focus area is an hour away from our apartment. We usually eat curry or Burger King, but we get BBQ sometimes too. I am maintaining weight though. We eat at a members house every Sunday night and she makes awesome roti and curry. My favorite now is potato. Goat is pretty good and lamb works too. Stingray was bad! We had shrimp and papaya once and that was awful too! A lady from Jamaica in our ward made us a cherry cheesecake yesterday. It was way good. I ate half of it!

Well, I haven't gotten the new retainers yet. The orthodontist's office hasn't been answering their phone. We are going to go in and set an appointment with them in person in the morning if they don't answer this afternoon.

Our internet was down for a few minutes. I think the building next to us just got struck by lightning! That was amazing! It rains everyday... a lot... everyday... for hours on end... and then it rains again! I'm sure you guessed that it's the rainy season here now. It isn't fun to walk around in wet clothes all day long asking people to let you into their houses! But no worries, mon!

This week's scripture is Ecclesiastes 1:17-18.