Wednesday, May 27, 2009

It looks like she'll get baptized next Saturday!

Trinidad is great, it's not too different from St. Maarten. The biggest differences are that we drive on the wrong side of the road, they don't have frozen burritos, there aren't really any white people, and I have a dryer, a car, and an air conditioner. I'm getting use to the A/C but I still freeze every night!

We are teaching a lady named Jermine and it looks like she'll get baptized next Saturday! She is 25 year old and from here in Trinidad (most of the people are, I've only met 3 that aren't from here).

We are also teaching a guy named Curtis and his oldest daughter who is about 20. They read the Book of Mormon together because he doesn't read very well. He was completely drunk when we met him but he hasn't had a drink since then. He says he is going to change his life and turn to Jesus. He wants to get baptized this week but we told him he has to wait for a couple weeks. He has some strong motivation though because his family all walked out on him because he drinks too much. He figures if he changes they will come back.

I'm in the Curepe Ward, it's nice but kind of small. We have a nice little primary, probably about 15 kids. We have lots of young men but only a couple of young women. At church we only teach a recent convert class during Sunday School.

My companion, Elder Romney, is from Alpine. He's cool but slightly psychotic! He's been in the office 6 weeks longer than me. It's a little bit weird being so close to the mission president. I get to see a totally different side of him here. Everything runs through me and then to President. I get to talk to him a lot everyday. Elder Romney and I have dubbed ourselves the Assistant/Assistants to the President (AAP or double AP's!)

The assistants and President left yesterday on President's last zone conference tour. (President Robison leaves on June 29th). It was weird that the apartment was so empty this morning. It's a big apartment and it's perfect for 4 people but for 2... The AP's will be back Monday.

I kind of had a birthday party. It was at the bishop's house on Monday night because his birthday was on Sunday too. He turned 70 though.

The scripture of the week is D&C 81:5-6.

P.S. My birthday was my half way mark in my mission and one year from today I will be home! Don't worry, I'm not thinking too much about that. You have to come out swinging at the start of the second half and keep going strong or else you'll lose!